“Intuition is a very powerful thing, more powerful than intellect, in my opinion.” — Steve Jobs
Intuition is one of the most important skills we can develop, yet it is often the most misunderstood. The senses of sight, smell, touch, taste & hearing are easily recognized within ourselves. Our sixth sense of intuition requires transcending beyond our logical mind. It’s that feeling or deep inner knowing that can’t quite be described or intellectualized.
Sometimes intuition shows up as an uneasy feeling in your gut when you meet someone or a buzzing excitement when you hear of an opportunity that just feels right. It can show up in different ways for each person. However, the good news is that we all possess it. Intuition is even being recognized in business now as a tangible skill to help in the decision making process. It’s not as “woo-hoo” as we previously thought!
Here are ways to develop & strengthen your intuition:
- Spend time in stillness – We live in a loud & busy world… it’s essential to create some space in your life which allows you to be quiet so that you can pay attention to the subtle sounds of your intuition. Meditation, time in nature and intentional quiet moments are some ways to achieve this.
- Pay attention – Learn to pay attention to how intuition shows up for you. Some people feel it in their gut, while others see visual cues or get goosebumps. Remember that intuition is subtle for most.
- Learn to listen – When you notice your intuition showing up, learn to listen to what it has to say. There are times when it’s not what we want to hear but it’s what we need to hear.
- Ask – Don’t be afraid to specifically ask for the guidance you wish to receive. We often forget to do this, yet there is tremendous power in asking.
- Trust – This is by far the most challenging step of listening to your intuition. You must accept that there will always be some logical uncertainty and learn to TRUST in it’s wisdom.
- Be patient – It takes time, practice and faith to develop and trust in your intuition.
- Keep it light – Most importantly relax and enjoy this process!
Our sense of intuition is associated with our third eye chakra. Intentionally meditating to open and balance this chakra is also a great way to strengthen this skill. Remember to quiet down, listen and trust!